||Important Dates for Winter 2008-09
||International sessions begin (see story at right)
||Auxiliaries: Answers to follow-up questions due
||Sign up for W-2 Xpress
||All auxiliary vouchers complete, unless an earlier date is specified by your campus.
||Auxiliaries: Send completed analysis and reports
||Auxiliaries: Follow-up questions sent to organizations
||Auxiliaries: Answers to follow-up questions due
For more details see department areas below.
| FMS Payroll Holiday Pay Dates
- Wed., Nov. 26 - Biweekly & Monthly payday
- Fri., Dec. 12 - Biweekly payday
- Fri., Dec. 19 - 10 Month Student academic payday
- Fri., Dec. 26 - Biweekly payday
- Fri., Jan 2 - Monthly payday
|TIME Updates, FAQs, and Tips
The TIME implementation is nearly complete on the Bloomington campus. Excluding a handful of departments that are still working on meeting the 12/31/2008 deadline, Bloomington departments have 95% of Hourly and Biweekly Staff appointments configured to use TIME. The other 5% are mostly hourly jobs and may not be active. If you need a list of employees who are not on TIME in your department, please send me an email. Three other campuses are implementing TIME this month: IU Kokomo, IU East, and IU Northwest. Rollout of TIME continues on the IUPUI, IU Southeast, and IU South Bend campuses. Please contact the payroll office on your campus with questions about TIME for your specific department.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Why do I have to approve timesheets with no hours worked in my area?
A: Any timesheet that routes to you must be approved. Seeing zero hours may alert you to a problem if you know the employee has worked for you this pay period. It also may remind you that an inactive employee should be terminated. For employees with multiple jobs, a missed approval in your department will hold up the approval process of the other departments. Please approve all timesheets in a timely manner.
Q: As a payroll processor, how do I know which timesheets are still unapproved by supervisors?
A: Go to Administrative Systems > TIME > Find Timesheets to open Workflow Document Search and fill in the following fields (click Detailed Search if you do not see all of these fields):
- Department (all caps: UA-FMOP)
- Work Area (optional))
- Document Route Status = Enroute)
- Document Route Node = Supervisor)
- NOTE: no dates are used (or needed) in this search
- To save a Workflow Document Search, type something into the “Name this search (optional)” textbox and then click search. The search will now be available in the “Searches” dropdown box at the top of the Document Search screen.
- The biggest confusion with new hourly employees in a timesheet comes from them trying to ‘edit’ and add hours. Hourly employees should have no reason to click the ‘edit’ button and should be instructed to just use the clock action buttons at the top of the timesheet.
- The biggest confusion with Biweekly employees involves overtime. When an employee works beyond her regular schedule she wants to record 8 regular hours and the rest as overtime on that day. Employees should be instructed to just record time worked – the overtime will be calculated by the system once any hours over 40 are recorded for a week.
|Expanded FMS Training
FMS Training now has a link on the FMS home page which lists all FMS training and detailed explanations of each training session. Topics cover training in FIS, Payroll, TIME, and special financial topics such as the EPIC session listed below for Accounts Payable..
Payment Requests and Credit Memo Documents in EPIC: This training session is designed for experienced PREQ and CM users who desire to better understand the Accounts Payable design in EPIC.
IUPUI will be hosting this class on January 29th, 2009 from 1:30PM - 3:30PM. Registration is available on the FMS registration page under IUPUI.
|2009 Tax Treaty & Immigration Documentation Update
IMU Dogwood Room - November 17-21
If you receive income from IU including scholarship, fellowship, tuition reduction, wages, living allowance, or stipends
If your visa status changed or you received updated I-20, DS-2019
If you applied for or received Lawful Permanent Resident status and have not provided documentation
If you have never provided immigration documents or completed an International Tax Questionnaire
Plan to visit an IU Tax Dept representative at the IMU Sessions:
- Monday, Nov. 17, Noon – 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, Nov. 18, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
(Nov. 18 - focus on South Korea)
- Wednesday, Nov. 19, 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
(Nov. 19 - focus on China)
- Thursday, Nov. 20, 8:30 am – 7 pm
- Friday, Nov. 21, 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
What to bring:
- Completed International Tax Questionnaire – download at: http://www.fms.indiana.edu/tax/forms/questionnaire.pdf
- I-94 card
- I-20 (F-1 visa); DS-2019 (J-1 visa); or other immigration document indicating status and dates of stay (I-797, etc)
- Social Security card (SSN); Individual Taxpayer Identification card (ITIN); or copy of SSN or ITIN application
- Visa page & Passport
More information available online at:
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tax Information: W-2 Sign-up Online
Did you know you can get your W-2 tax statement online? Register today!
Form W-2 is the Wage and Tax Statement employees receive from IU each year. The W-2 contains important tax information that is used in the preparation of Individual Federal and State Income Tax Returns.
To learn more and register to receive your W-2 tax statement online go to http://www.fms.indiana.edu/tax/w2/w2express.asp
|Accounts Receivable, Auxiliary Accounting, Capital Assets, and Student Loan
Jennifer George is the new Director of Accounts Receivable, Auxiliary Accounting, Capital Assets, and Student Loan Administration. Many of you have worked closely with Jennifer in the past in her role as Manager of Auxiliary Accounting and are aware of the strong skill set and leadership she will bring to this division.
Rhonda Inman has been appointed to the position of Manager of Auxiliary Accounting in FMS effective November 10, 2008. Rhonda has 15 plus years of experience in FMS. In her previous roles, Rhonda has served as the External Reporting and Compliance Administrator, a Project Accountant, and a Contract and Grant Administrator.
Upcoming Q2 deadlines:
- January 20th: All auxiliary vouchers complete, unless an earlier date is specified by your campus.
- January 30th: Send completed analysis and reports to email@example.com. Organizations at IUB and IUPUI should copy your campus administrators.
- February 6th: Follow-up questions sent to organizations.
- February 13th: Answers to follow-up questions due to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Assets Management
To improve customer service Capital Asset Management has a new e-mail address that will ensure your questions are answered in a timely manner. When sending messages to fmscams your message will go into an inbox that can be read by Capital Asset Management staff.
This will ensure that during holidays, vacations, and other activities that take us away from e-mail that you receive prompt service.
We want to encourage you to send all of your capital asset questions to: e-mail address: fmscams